Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Easter Hive, May You Rest in Peace

I'm calling it.  Time of death: 2:35 pm, September 11th.  The Easter Hive is no more.

I just finished a hive inspection and witnessed the hive box being overrun with robber bees and ants.  It's ugly in there!  Lots of dead bees, many killed by invaders, I imagine.  I watched for a minute while a bee looked as if it was trying to tear the head off a larval bee that had not quite finished its metamorphosis.  I guess when it's bee war, there are no prisoners!

Hopefully I can learn from this and next spring I will be better equipped to assist the remaining hive, Dave's Bees, thrive.  Only problem is, I'm not quite sure what went wrong.

When I have the time, I will go into the slow death of the Easter Hive in more detail.
August 25th: Dave's Bees still thriving!
August 25th: Almost no bees outside the Easter
Hive.  This may have been there last gasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment