Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Birds and the Bees - 20 Years!

Tala and I came downstairs this morning to find Lena at the kitchen table doing homework.  She was excited to have us open our anniversary cards that had come yesterday.  We quickly discovered that she had slipped in a card that she made for us.

 
How precious is she?!

So far, Tala and I have spent time at Rainbow Grocery and Best Buy - not the most romantic of places.  But tonight we'll have dinner and maybe catch a movie.  And I'm sure we'll reflect on the meaning of this historic day.

Lena has already got us thinking about it.  After leaving Tala's office I listened to some of the speeches in the car (we're borrowing a car from friends while they're in South Africa - still carless and happy!).  Lena's card got me thinking about how important that day was, how important it IS, to my family.  It's impossible to say what a change in history, no matter of what size, would mean for the present, but I can't help wondering and supposing.  1963 is just a couple of years before my mom and dad met each other.  Without Dr. King's words and his rally cry to let freedom ring, would they have had the courage to fall in love and get married?  And even if they did (of course they would have!), would anywhere in the nation have had the courage to truly welcome them?  Of that I'm not so certain;  despite Dr. King's moving speech and the civil rights laws that followed, 50 years later Tala and I find some places we visit uncomfortable when we get stares that linger just a little too long.  But mostly, thankfully, we find tolerance if not a warm welcome, a friendly nod if not a warm smile.  Thank you Dr. King and all the brave souls who marched on Washington 50 years ago and opened the eyes of our nation.

Dear Lena,
Thank you so much for the wonderful card.  It's beautiful, you are so talented!  And thank you for suggesting Mommy and I think about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech.  I've done just that! Without Dr. King's speech, Mommy and I may never have gotten married, or even met!  And if that's true, then I owe Dr. King, not only some of the freedoms and rights I enjoy today, but the love and joy I receive from Mommy, Carter and you, every day! I don't know what his speech means to you.  Maybe some of the same things it means to me and Mommy, maybe something I've not even considered.  I do know that I am awed that you have the insight and depth of character to urge us to think about it.  Thank you for inspiring me to reflect deeply about this day.  I hope your simple card reminds others to take time to think about Dr. King's words as well.
I love you,
Daddy

PS.  Did you notice how Mommy and I got a couple of bee themed cards for our anniversary?  I guess everyone knows we have bees now!













No comments:

Post a Comment