Sunday, May 31, 2015

Managing 5 Hives


Taking Care of 200,000 Girls!

Did you know I'm managing 5 hives now?  


Two are in The Garden,  



one is in my neighbor's garden,




And two are in my dad and Pat's garden outside North San Juan, CA.

It's pretty exciting taking care of so many bees, but I'm finding it difficult to be separated from them, even by just a block. I see the bees in my garden every day and can see with a glance that everything is OK. I especially find myself worrying about my Gold Country bees.  They are in a very different climate and in a nectar desert when compared to the rich urban variety of gardens.  Instead of every day, I can only check on them about once a month! I leave for Dad and Pat's in a few hours.  It will be my second visit since installing them.

Right now only one hive is giving honey - my first hive that I captured from my neighbors garbage can - "Dave's Bees". When they're all producing I may be swimming in honey! But right now, my honey bucket is running low. Depending on how many people show up this Wednesday to buy honey, I may have to close up early and turn people away.  I have about 8 lbs now.  Last week I sold 20. 

But I'll be extracting more before the weekend so that I have plenty for all of you have asked to be able to come by on a weekend.  June 7 between 10:30 and noon.  Please come on by!

Until then, stay sweet!



No comments:

Post a Comment